Monday, August 18, 2014

Botswana and the best resort... ever..

Yesterday morning we had to leave by 8am to travel to Botswana. It was only an hours drive and the border crossing was so easy it took only moments each, for both side of the border. We then traveled to our accommodation and got local currency. I traded $84 American for 683 Poola. So there you go.

Narelle then went to a supermarket and then we had lunch. After lunch we had free time until our sunset cruise on the Chobe river. I had a sleep and Narelle had a cuppa. She then came to the bus and woke me to see the mongoose. There were dozens of them, everywhere around the bus and campsite.
Mongoose

We headed off to the cruise at 2:45, we were to cruise from 3 to 6pm. What a lovely way to see the animals, we saw abundant wildlife, mostly things we have already seen, but in such a wonderful setting. We were very fortunate as Narelle spotted a leopard, once the guide moved the boat closer we realised that she had one cub with her, what an experience, everyone was so pleased. All of the other boats came to see too. It was a very rare moment, as Leopards are very shy creatures. The leopards stayed for ages and although they stayed mostly behind bushes, they did come out and give us good views of them occasionally. Some of the folk got some lovely shots, but my camera is too small to enlarge like they do. But I have some I will share with you.
You have to really look to see her and even I can't see the cub, but my camera is shit, so this is the best I could do. I shall look in Singapore for another one.

We also got some lovely close shots of Hippo’s closer than the ones the other day, so very pleased about that.

Elephant and water buffalo swim over to this Island often the green grass seduces them. Other animals stay ont he island permanently, like red boks and kudus.
Kudu

Yesterday we arrived at the most beautiful accommodation, my favourite yet, it is wonderful. I could live here. Sadly we are moving on today.
The amazing bath

Yesterday we travelled through Botswana and we passed a Foot and Mouth dousing station. I have no idea if that is what they are really called, but we had to get off the bus, take all of our shoes with us and walk through a hessian lined puddle and dip all of our other shoes in it too. They are trying to prevent Foot and Mouth, but I am not sure if it is because they have had it or they just don’t want it…..

We passed the shadiest, mingiest hairdressing salon I have ever seen, if we pass it again today, I will get pictures. Narelle and I thought it looked real dodgy, but we got a good laugh.

Once we arrived here I did not want to leave, so I was a bit sorry we had booked an afternoon game drive. This place is so nice, the food is great, the pool is marvellous and the rooms are to die for, even a claw foot bath. The whole place burned down in a bush fire in 2008, so everything is pretty new. I love it, not to mention free wifi.

We did however go on the drive and it was great. We saw wilder beast, really close this time, a Springbok, a Secretary bird, a jackal, from a distance and flamingo and Pelicans, so a really good drive. We have been extremely lucky this trip. While our bus had stopped near some others at the famingo , another guide from another bus came over to talk to Narelle and I. He was hilarious, a big black South African. He was telling us how he only has 2 Aussies on his trip and 10 Italians, he feels really sorry for the Aussies, Italians are so rude. He then told us how it used to be just Aussies travelling in Africa, and we made this tourist stuff look easy, he said that is why they all got into it, because we made it look easy, but now they have to deal with the French, Germans and Italians and it isn’t easy anymore, they complain about everything and they want everything there way. He said they do listen and they never shut up, especially the Italians. We had to agree with that, one of the women on our bus doesn’t stop talking even if a guide tells her to, and the man is always talking over the top of the guide to translate to two others. It makes it very hard to hear the guide, even though we understand what he is doing. I try not to stand near him. Anyway we liked the SA guide he made us laugh. We saw him again back here, his tour is staying here too. We also caught up with the other Aussies after dinner, they stopped at our table on the way out of the restaurant when they heard our accents. They are a young couple from Queensland doing a Botswana Tour. Very nice and a bit over the Italians too, though they said there are some on the tour from Northern Italy and they are nice and embarrassed by the other and often apologise to the two Aussies for the others behaviour.

Wilderbeast

This morning we leave, we have no idea when, Narelle and I went to the restaurant and didn’t have tea at the camp. So no idea what time or anything. I don’t mind really, if they want us early they can come look for us. I am off to find Wifi to post this. We are off camping in the next few days, so not sure when I will be able to post again.
I have more pics to share, but my power is getting low.

So till next time, cheers to all

Lone and Rellie

1 comment: