Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Singapore and a really shit day...

Narelle and I spent the night at a motel near the airport in Jo'burg. It was a pretty amazing place, they had a lovely food court, inside a huge building with the ceiling painted to look like sky. It was awesome
The statue of David, near where we had dinner

More of the indoor/outdoor area. It was quite fascinating.

We then went to bed as our flight was not until 1:45 pm the next day. What a mistake. We should have traveled on Sunday evening. As it was by the time we arrived in Singapore it was 6:05 am Singapore time, but only 00:05 South African time. We had had very little sleep, as first we weren't tired and then we couldn't sleep, airplanes are not the best for sleeping at the best of times. Once we arrived we got a taxi to our hotel and we were not allowed to check in until 3:00 pm. Shit.... All we wanted was a shower and a sleep. We had 9 hours to fill in. Our hotel is in Chinatown, it is a very interesting area, but we found no interest in it yesterday. We took a train to a local shopping centre and found that nothing opens until 10:30 am, great, nothing to do and nowhere to go. We wandered about a bit, but we were both exhausted. we finally took a train back to Chinatown and found a tourist info place. We found they have a hop on hop off bus, so we decided to do that, at least we could sit down, there are no bench seats for pedestrians in Chinatown. Well we did two different routes on the bus and I fell asleep on both, Narelle lasted the first one, but was also sleeping during the second. The hop on buses are very boring in Singapore, I was hoping for some history about the place, but the information was very boring. Some of the architecture is interesting, but not enough to keep one awake.
Our area is all decked out for a festival, we are just not sure when it is happening.

We finally got into our hotel room and had a shower, we did a bit more touring of the area and then had dinner and went back to our hotel for an early night, we were both dead on our feet. Narelle was asleep by about 8:30 and apart from me waking her about 11:30 for a few minutes, She slept until 9:55 am. I went to sleep later than her, about 9:30 pm, but woke about the same time. What a sleep.
The Buddist temple in Chinatown, it was amazing inside

See

Yesterday we thought Singapore was crap, today we were more kind to it and actually found some things we enjoyed. We couldn't have high tea at Raffles as you have to book, so we had afternoon tea at their bakery instead. It was really nice, the place is to die for. I am so glad I went there, I have read about it in so many novels over the years.
Narelle at Raffles, on the side verandah

Part of one of the courtyards at Raffles.

Raffles Hotel

We also went shopping and I brought a new camera, I love it. I can even send pics to my phone, or by email, from my camera, how cool is that?? Okay you can probably all do it, but I have never heard of it and I am wrapped that I can now too.

Narelle and I went shopping this afternoon and the shop keepers were no where near as irritating as they were yesterday, so either they improved overnight, or our tempers did, with a good nights sleep.

We asked our hotel man for suggestions as to where we have dinner. He said the Clacky, luckily I asked him to show me on the map, as he was trying to say the Clarke Quay. I would have had one confused taxi driver had I asked for the Clackey. Though maybe not, if he was Chinese too.

Narelle at our table at Hooters, on the Clarke Quay. The food is very expensive and not that tasty. A steak at one restaurant was $80, we did not eat there.

Singapore has some lovely flowers, it is very humid here and everything is green

A local Hindu temple

We are now relaxing in our hotel. We have to leave here tomorrow at 5:30 am to get to the airport in time for our flight back home.

So thank you all for sharing our wonderful adventure with us. We loved Africa, even if I did get sick, it was an amazing adventure, with the most wonderful animals. Singapore I could take or leave, but today was a nice day.

Cheers for now

Lones

3 comments:

  1. wonderful, are you home yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Singapore, but not the humidity. Was soaked to the skin most of the time. Your photos remind us of a wonderful trip when we visited Oz and stopped over for a few nights on the way there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are now home safe. I am glad you liked Singapore, Mal and Mary. I wasn't too fussed. But I hope to get back to the UK next year, hopefully we can catch up then...

    ReplyDelete